If you want to guarantee yourself a business life of misery, hire someone with the idea of changing them.
Our 9 rules on hiring:
- 1. We Hire people that are smarter and more knowledgeable than you are.
- We don’t hire people we can't learn from or be challenged by.
- 2. We Hire people who will add value to the project and our culture.
- We don’t hire people who won't contribute well to both.
- 3. We Hire people who will get things done.
- We don’t hire people who just think about problems.
- 4. We Hire people who are enthusiastic, self-motivated, and passionate.
- We don’t hire people who just want a job.
- 5. We Hire people who inspire and work well with others.
- We don’t hire people who prefer to work alone.
- 6. We Hire people who will grow with your team and with the firm.
- We don’t hire people with narrow skill sets or interests.
- 7. We Hire people who are well rounded, with unique interests and talents.
- We don’t hire people who only live to work.
- 8. We Hire people who are ethical and who communicate openly.
- We don’t hire people who are political or manipulative.
- 9. We hire only when we've found a great candidate.
- We don’t settle for anything less.
Always we keep in mind, that the best way to avoid having to fire underperformers is not to hire them. This is why we would rather our hiring process generate more false negatives - type II error (people we should have hired but didn't), than false positives - type I error (we shouldn't have hired, but did).
Tags: hiring, for professionals